As I mentioned a little while ago, it's costume season in our house - there seem to be a run of parties, dress up days at preschool, book week and then Halloween. The children were invited to a Star Wars party and wanted to go as Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. When I'm making costumes I try and get them done as simply as possible, so I find a reference picture (thank you, Google image search) to identify the key elements which make that outfit distinctive, and then work out how to repliate them without too much fuss.
I decided that for Leia it was the polo-neck, long skirt, metallic belt, hair in buns and a gun. For Luke it was beige trousers and boots, the white kimono-style shirt, a brown belt with pocket, and a light sabre. Luckily we have an overflowing dress-up basket with lots of odds and ends in it, and Ali already had beige trousers and ugg boots, so the only things I needed to make was a dress and the kimono-style top.
It would have been fairly easy to make the Leia dress from scratch but when I saw a white skivvy (Australian for cotton jersey turtleneck) reduced to about $3 at Target I decided to buy that and just sew an A-line skirt on the bottom, using some white t-shirt fabric I already had at home. It doesn't have drapey sleeves like in the movie, but by when it was paired with a silver belt (old one of mine, now lives in the dress up basket), a toy gun (my pre-child self would not believe we owned this) and with hair in small hairsprayed tufty plaits it looked pretty good.
For Luke's costume I sewed an Oliver & S Bedtime Story Pyjama top in Size 8. I had this pattern already (I sewed it as summer pyjamas ages ago, here), and made it up in some white cotton winceyette I picked up at Spotlight about a year ago. We already had the brown belt with the pouch (it's my Brownie belt from when I was little!) and a light sabre, so that was very easy.
They were both really happy with their costumes, and I was pleased to put them together without too much effort or expense, and it still feels satisfying to make one from scratch rather than buy the commercial licensed things. Hopefully these will get worn again at some stage, or recycled in to another costume. I already have plans to use the trousers, boots and belt again in Ali's book week costume.