Last week the weather turned summery, which was a good excuse to make a new top for the girl baby. This is a pattern (Brooke Dress by Brynnberlee) I bought as an Etsy download, made up in one of Heather Moore's prints for Cloud 9 Fabrics. I really love this fabric - it's organic cotton and is soft and light and perfect for warm weather wear.
I made a size 2, for my almost-1-year old, and it's a good fit. Milla is walking most of the time now, but still crawls on uneven surfaces, so I made it tunic-length; I cut the skirt 10" long instead of the 13" the pattern calls for. The only other modification I made was to sandwich the skirt between the bodice fabric and lining when attaching it - it was a tiny bit more fiddly, because I handsewed the lining in place on the inside, but gives a much nicer finish, and I hate the thought of the seam edge rubbing baby tummy skin. It's a simple pattern, and quick to make, but the pleats and ruffled cap sleeves are sweet details. It doesn't use much fabric either, especially at tunic length. I love the Oliver + S patterns, but with all the details and bias cut hem facings etc. they really gobble yardage. I think there will be a few more of these for summertime, to wear with bloomers when the weather warms up.
(the gorgeous bunny in the top photo was made by Alison)