My sister had a birthday last week and, fairly close to the event, I decided I wanted to make her a quilt. This was possibly a bit rash because I usually only make cot size quilts for babies. I might have let the idea go, except I was talking to Mel and she suggested making a disappearing nine patch quilt, promising that it looked much more complicated than it is. So, heavily inspired by her quilt (also made as a gift, with a tight deadline) and after asking my sister about colours preferences for homewares, I bit the bullet, ordered some lovely Lotta Glimma and some other coordinating prints (Moda PB&J, Kate Spain Cuzco & Malka Dubrawsky - 10 fat quarters in total, not counting the white, and with a little extra of one print for binding) and started cutting. I used a white square for the centre of each "disappearing" block, and the same white for the sashing.
Once I finished the quilt top I realised it would be much too big to quilt on my own machine, so I sent it down to Jeannette for longarm quilting. This is the first time I have ever had something quilted for me, and I was really impressed by how quickly Jeannette got it done and the finished result. I will definitely use her again for any bigger-than-cot-size quilts I make.
I used some flannelette for the back (this is a couch quilt, so I wanted it to be cosy) and a mixture of the Lotta Olavi and plain chambray for the binding. And then it was done!
Next on the list is the Robot quilt for the boy child... I'm hoping to have it finished in the next few weeks, but we shall see.