I had my next couple of sewing projects all planned, but then realised that Milla is about to outgrow the sizes in my School Photo Dress pattern, which I haven't made for her yet, and as it's a long sleeved dress I wanted to make it right now to take advantage of Sydney's brief, mild winter. So, uncharacteristically, I bought fabric, traced the pattern, cut and sewed this all in a few days. It's a lovely pattern - the finished dress looks very smart and slightly retro, with the kangaroo pocket, collar and cuffs. My only gripe was that it says you need much more fabric than you do - it specified 2 yards so I bought 1.9m of this Aneela Hoey print from her Posy range, but I have more than 50cm yardage left. There was much more lining than I needed too. I don't usually sew clothes in quilting cottons, but because this is a winter dress I thought the heavier weight would work, and I lined it in a lilac poplin (both from the Remnant Warehouse).
I love the gold and lime flowers in this print, so used some gold ricrac in the yoke seam to pick them out.
The invisible zipper instructions in the pattern were great too, and make for a truly invisible zip.
And I finished it off with a vintage button and a button chain made with the instructions on the Oliver + S site, and hand stitched the hem and the collar and cuffs down, and the lining to the zipper facing. I'm glad I took the time to do the hand finishing, as tempting as it is to finish things off quickly on the machine the hand stitching does give a much better result. And, realistically, making dresses like this is all about me indulging my whim to sew something rather than Milla actually needing a dress, so I might as well make it so I am happy with the end result.
But, having said that, Milla loves it (she chose the bunny print) so hopefully it will get lots of wear before the weather warms up.