A couple of weeks ago I had the most excellent weekend away at a beautiful place with a group of friends, and got lots of sewing done. Mostly new tops for me, which are much needed, and all three of them are from new-to-me patterns. The Grainline tiny pocket tank, the Grainline Scout tee and the Tessuti Mandy tee.
The Mandy Tee was the hit of the weekend - I think between the 8 of us who went away there were at least 6 of them made. For this one I used a remnant of wool / cotton knit, also from Tessuti, that I picked up when they had a $10 special on all remnants. It's hard to photograph, being black, but it has a lovely feel and drape.
I really like the way that the fitted arms balance out the boxy shape of the body in this pattern, which stops it looking too voluminous. I seem to have finally mastered the twin needle too, so between the pattern (which is great - excellent instructions) and the top stitching I'm really happy with the finish. And it makes such a difference having an overlocker - I know you can, technically, sew knits without one but I was never happy with my attempts before I had one.
The tank was the only one of the patterns that gave me any grief - when I was looking at the pattern the bust darts looked suspiciously generous considering I was making the size 2. I sewed them as marked anyway, but they were much too deep and low. I ended up doing a shorter, shallower dart that angled upward (because I'd already cut out my pattern pieces, so needed to keep the end of the dart in the same place), and that turned out okay, although I did need to trim down the front hem and adjust the pocket placement, which had both been thrown out by the dart adjustment. The fabric is Proteas by Skinny Laminx for Cloud 9, which I love and have been hoarding for a years (although did you see she has just released a new range for them, which looks to be based on one of my favourite prints for the first line, which I used for this top). I only had 1m, which was plenty for a smaller size - I just had to piece the bias strips together. The finished top is very comfortable and while the bust darts aren't perfect I don't think it's too bad for an on-the-fly fix after the pieces were cut out.
The Scout Tee doesn't have a bust dart and so was much less problematic. I made it up in this Admi print from Miss Matatabi, which I love. I have a weakness for block-print Indian fabric, and I like how this one combines the block print aesthetic with Japanese-style design. I think this will get lots of wear over summer with jeans and skirts.
It was fun trying out these new patterns, and I'm enjoying having some new tops on rotation in my wardrobe. My other plans for summer sewing are:
- another Moss skirt in navy drill
- a pair of shorts for beach wear (most likely the Thurlow pattern)
- another Cambie Dress
- a Laurel shift
- a Pattern Runway kimono dress
... but I'm determined to (finally) make an advent calendar before the end of this month, so all other sewing will have to wait until that is done.
- a skirt in Ghanian wax fabric
- another Scout tee.