I really didn't need another kids' dress pattern at all, but something about the Straightgrain Hanami pattern appealed to me as soon as I saw it - I think it's the longer-bodiced sillhouette. A lot of the dresses I've made M have that high-waisted, empire line look (like the Geraniums, the Ice Cream Dresses and the Roller Skate Dress), so it's nice to make something different, and I also really like the flutter sleeves.
When I saw this gorgeous Prints Charming hexagon print fabric in Spotlight I knew it would go perfectly with the Hanami pattern. It's a linen / cotton basecloth so very cool and summery, and I had some lilac poplin left over from lining this dress, which was a good match for the bodice and flutter sleeve lining.
The pattern sewed up really nicely, the only change I made was to continue the zipper in to the skirt - the pattern has it stop at the waist seam, which seemed like it might make the dress harder to wriggle on and off. So instead of two rectangles for the front and back skirts, I cut one long rectangle, gathered it and sewed it on to the bodice before installing the zip. I continued the invisible zipper about 10cm into the skirt, before finishing off the rest of the centre back seam. I was impressed by how neat the zip turned out, after avoiding them for years it's almost anticlimactic to find out that invisible zips really are very easy.
This is definitely a pattern I'll make again - it's easy to sew, doesn't use too much fabric and looks stylish and sweet. There are lots of variations for the pattern (cross back, peplum top, peter pan collar) so next time I'll try making one of those.