This was another stash-busting winter dress for the girl child. Last winter she had a denim pinafore from Next, which was very simple but super practical and comfortable. It's too small this year, so I decided to try and make my own version - it's a mixture of the Geranium dress bodice, the construction technique from the Clothkits Pinafores I've made, and tracing and enlarging the A-line skirt from last year's dress.
Satisfyingly, it was all made from leftover fabric - I had some lovely cotton/linen Tessuti denim left from this skirt, and then I found these very cute cherry buttons at Spotlight. I have a thing for cherry print, so couldn't resist them. And once I had the buttons I decided to go to town with the cherry thing and use the leftover fabric from this Bubble Dress (so tiny!) and a cherry iron-on thing that I bought in Tokyo years ago on the dress as well.
Because I had limited fabric I had to cut dress pieces with the grain running horizontally (and vertically on the pockets), and wasn't sure how that would turn out, but I quite like the look of it. Out of the three winter dresses I've made recently, this is M's favourite, and she wants to wear it whenever it's clean, which is very pleasing, especially as it was a bit of an experiment.
* A pinafore, in Australian English (and possibly English English too) is what American's call a jumper - a dress to layer over a long sleeved top. It seems that a Pinafore in American English is open-backed and apron style. A jumper in Australian / British English is a sweater or pullover.