While we were away the weather turned cold, and I realised when we got back that the girl child needed some extra winter clothes. Her favourite outfit for colder weather is a dress layered with a long-sleeved t-shirt and leggings or tights (and Sydney winters are pretty mild, so this - with a jacket or cardigan layered over first thing in the morning or in the evening - is usually enough) so I looked through my fabric stash and found some combinations for a few dresses.
This one is a Geranium Dress in size 5, the skirt is Kitty Dreams in Cranberry from Lizzy House's Catnap range, and the bodice is from a fat quarter of fabric called Seed Head which I bought at the V&A in 2010 after seeing the Quilts 1700-2010 exhibition. I made the pleated skirt with inseam pockets, and just shortened the skirt by about an inch to fit it in to the yard of fabric I had. The size 5 has enough room to wear with a layer under it now, and will then hopefully fit to wear as a sundress over summer (this is what happened with the Geranium Dresses I made last year).
The second is a Geranium bodice, with a modified skirt - I don't like corduroy to be too heavily gathered, because of the bulk, so I just used the width of the fabric sewn together in a tube, with the two selvedges at the centre back seam, to make a more gently gathered skirt - there is still plenty of room for running and twirling. The bodice is from a remnant of Liberty needlecord I bought at Shaukat - I only had about 20cm, so used it for the bodice and pockets, and put a plain green corduroy from Spotlight with it.
It felt good to get these sewn up quickly, especially as the only thing I needed to buy for them was the green corduroy - everything else came from the stash. After a bit of a hibernation I'm feeling very excited about sewing again at the moment, and these kind of quick, useful projects are great ones for keeping me enthusiastic.