There has been lot of sewing and making that has never been documented this year, so I thought I'd try and squeeze in a few finished projects. This one is the Maya Dress which I made a couple of months ago when pattern testing for the lovely Marilla.
I really love the details on this pattern - it's french seamed, has nice top stitched neck and arm hole facings, a cute little pocket and a scooped hem. Unfortunately the fabric I chose was not super cooperative - it's a textured navy cotton blend from Remnant Warehouse and has a slight metallic fleck to it. I don't know what the blend is, but it stubbornly refuses to be ironed (see evidence of crinkles above) and is quite stiff. This stiffness combined with the boxy style of the Maya (which I usually love) AND the plain navy blue AND the fact that I live near a hospital so there are lots of nurses getting about in uniform made me worry that it looked a little bit too much like scrubs when I first finished it. So I took it in a little at the side seams, and put fish eye darts in the back. Now it's a lovely simple shift dress, and still has the nice top stitching details (although some of the scooped hem was lost when I took the side seams in). I've seen lots of gorgeous Maya variations and would like to have another go in a fabric with a bit more forgiving drape - I think a linen blend would be lovely.