The staff at Milla's preschool asked if I would make some doll clothes for their naked plastic baby dolls. It was a lot of fun to go through my bags of scraps and ribbons, and to find patterns online.
I ended up making 6 nappies (diapers), two t-shirts, two cardigans, two pairs of shorts and four dresses. There are six dolls that needed clothes, and most of them are the 14" size (the clothes also fit the smaller 12" doll on the left, but were a bit roomy). I found lots of free resources online, and then adapted them to fit this style of doll.
The cardigans were knitted from a free pattern, "Little Kina" that I found on Ravelry. It's very quick and simple, all in the round, and was a good way to use up odd balls of yarn (I made the same pattern a couple of years ago for one of Milla's dolls).
The nappies were based on this pattern, although I adapted the shape because it was too wide in the crotch (ew, awful word) for these skinner baby dolls. They're made out of flannelette I had left over after from backing my sister's quilt.
The sleeveless dresses were based on the pattern here - I adapted the bodice a little to fit this style of doll better, and then added ruffled skirts. The shorts were based on this pattern from the same website.
The t-shirts are from an excellent pattern here - very easy, and I loved the idea of hemming the rectangle of fabric before cutting out the pattern pieces, it was much less fiddly than messing about with tiny doll hems.
The spotty smock dress was made from the sleeve of an old top of mine (I'd already used the bottom part of it to make a skirt for Milla), roughly based on this smock pattern from the same website as the dress and shorts (I used the sleeves of the doll dress pattern and the existing shirt sleeve instead of the main front and back dress pieces) and I was able to use the existing hems which made it very easy.
Apart from the smock dress, the dresses and t-shirts all have velcro at the back to make them easy for little fingers to put on and take off. My favourite part of all this was the details - choosing ribbons, ric-rac, top stitching and buttons to decorate the little pieces. It really was a lot of fun, and very satisfying to make it all from free patterns and tutorials and existing fabrics. The only supplies I bought for this was a metre of white velcro. I could have kept going with this for ages, but I'll wait and see how this starter wardrobe goes, and then make some more.
I finally hopped on the Game of Thrones bandwagon, years after everyone else, when I saw Season 1 on DVD at the library. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. We also watched Salamander recently - a Belgian detective series - which was great.
I'm reading the Lena Dunham book, "Not That Kind of Girl" and really enjoying it. She is funny and wise and it makes me remember what it was like to be in my 20s. I'm also reading the Marie Kondo book, "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" which is good - this New York Times article summarises her theory that you should only keep items which "spark joy" and decide what to keep rather than what to get rid of. I like to do a big spring clean at the start of the year, so it's been helpful to bear in mind as I go through my wardrobe and tidy up the books and paperwork.