It's a long time since Book Week, and I just realised I haven't written about this year's costume. This whole term has been a bit of a blur - I've enrolled in full time study, which has been great but just added to the spinning plates. We're now due for two weeks of school holidays, which will be a nice chance to catch up on some creative projects (hopefully) but in the meantime I give you Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III from the How to Train Your Dragon books.
We were introduced to these books on CD by friends, there is an excellent audio version read by David Tennant. I've downloaded a few more, for flights and long car trips, and Ali has read a couple from the library too. Because it's book week he's dressed as the book version - with a small green dragon - not the movie Hiccup, who has a larger black Toothless.
The costume is; bought trousers (not costume, just from his regular wardrobe), belt from the dress-up box, Viking helmet from here and a homemade tunic and vest. The tunic is the Nature Walk Pullover pattern, with the front and sleeves cut as single pieces (no colour blocking or pockets). I made a size 8, with a little added to the length. It's in a slightly slippery mock-linen from Spotlight, I think there's some viscose in there. I banged eyelets in on both sides of the v-neck and threaded some brown leather thong through for a Viking look (and am hopeful that it might be reused as a Robin Hood tunic or similar some time in the future).
The vest is in brown fleecy stuff from Spotlight, and I just improvised the shape, based loosely on the back and front pieces of the pullover, but cut down the middle at the front and with a tapering v-shape at the neck. The material doesn't fray, so it's sewn together at the shoulders and side seams and that's it. We found some metal clasps at Reverse Garbage and added them to the front for a bit of detail.
We were both pleased with this one - Ali because he got to carry a toy dragon around and dress up as his favourite character, and me because it was comfortable, didn't take too much effort and used props and patterns we had already.